How do you change a habit? Hmmm this is one of those questions I ask myself everyday but I have put together a few ideas that have worked for me:
1. If you are trying to change a negative habit (say smoking, over eating) try replacing it with a positive one; exercising, join a book club - doing this will change your whole focus.
2. Make a 10 day challenge to yourself - Making this a habit every day (at the same time everyday) for 10 days will make a HUGE difference on the way you focus and it will become much easier. I find if I set smaller goals that I am able to meet them and then move forward to another one and challenge myself even more.
3. Commit commit commit! Love this word...if only we could do this but if you do this you will be surprised at the results.
4. Reward yourself - Rewarding yourself is ok but make them ones that will keep you motivated.
5. Urges (I hate them) - the temptation and the thought of it makes me want to scream sometimes but I find if I focus on something positive the urge will vanish.
6. Report and track your progress - starting this blog has made me more accountable about everything I do. And I feel it has made quite a difference in the way I focus and feel about everything. It can be very motivating to see just how far you have come.
7. The most important one is STAY POSITIVE!! - This is the one I have so much trouble with but with each passing day I feel more positive about everything. Saying I can do this instead of I can't does make you feel like you can do anything and the more you say it the more you get motivated. Negative thoughts can make you fail but positive ones can make you a winner and you will succeed. (Thanks to all my supporters (you know who you are) without you I would be lost).
I hope these habits are as helpful to you as they are to me. Just remember I am just like you - your story is my story and we are all in this together.
I Moved Back to Washington, DC - I planned to write this post months ago, way in advance of our move. When I know I have a lot to say, the thought of starting feels overwhelming. But now the…
5 days ago