Monday, November 10, 2008

4 miles and counting

Last night I walked my first 4 miles for my training for the half marathon. I have to say I was a little nervous about starting this (since the 5k I have not really walked over 3 miles) and was not sure I could do it. I have a track near my home at a local High School which makes it convenient for me. My friend Dee suggested I try a trick she has been doing for a while so I would know when I had completed my 4 miles. You take 8 small rocks and put them all in one of your pockets and each time you pass your starting point you transfer it to the other side pocket - when you have completed this the first time you then transfer the rocks back to the original pocket and you have completed your 4 miles (handy right - I hope that made since?). It took me 1 hr and 38 mins to complete this which means it took me about 22 paces to complete the walk. For the half marathon I have to be between 17 to 18 to complete the race in 4 hrs. So I have some work to do on that part but in all I think I did a great job considering I was not sure I could do it lol! But again I underestimate myself and should know by now that I can do this and that it will be a lot of hard work but when I cross that finish line in March I will have accomplished something I have wanted to do for so long. The rest of the week is: Monday is rest day, Tuesday is Strive and walking, Wednesday is Zumba, walking and working with my Trainer, Thursday is walking and Friday rest day and I have minor surgery and will be out of commission for a few days (no work outs on Saturday or Sunday) but I am hoping I can at least walk a few miles (I will keep you posted on that).

I encourage all of you to pick a goal anything that you think you cannot do and go out and try it I bet you will surprise yourself and realize that we all can accomplish what we set our sights on. Special thanks to Dee and Donna for encouraging me through this whole process they rock!


Hold a true friend with both your hands.
* Nigerian Proverb

4 comments:

Juice said...

Way to go! Congrats on that achievement. You are on your way to the half marathon. :)

FatMom said...

What a great accomplishment! Good for you! I like the idea of the pebbles...

Anonymous said...

Ive picked my goal...and now Im already afraid (seriously.) that Ill fail.

*sigh*

goal setting is frickin hard.

elife said...

Way to go on your 40 pounds!!